Tea tree oil for Hair – Is Tea Tree Oil Good for Hair?
What are the benefits of tea tree oil for hair?
Tea tree oil is a natural remedy for many skin conditions, It’s a wonder essential oil which every single one of us should know about, especially tea tree oil benefits for hair growth and what not. This amazing essential oil don’t receive a quarter of the praise it deserves, and I really don’t know why. My mother used tea tree oil on numerous occasions to relieve a gazillion ailments, infections and what not, she used it even more on things around the house. One of the benefits of tea tree oil which is unknown yet highly effective is using tea tree oil for hair and hair/scalp related problems. Did I hear you say “what?!!”, Yes, TTO is highly beneficial the to treatment of hair lice (yikes!), tea tree oil for ingrown hair is also a well known (by few actually) fast remedy. Many of us probably only knew tea tree oil could be used for cold, and acne but can tea tree oil also be used for healthy hair growth? is tea tree oil good for hair?
Here are some hair and scalp conditions for which tea tree oil can be used for promoting healthy hair growth:
- Soothing an itchy scalp
- Eliminating dandruff
- Preventing baldness
- Treating psoriasis
- Removing head lice
- Natural remedy for hair loss.
Promoting Healthy Hair Growth with Tea Tree Oil
Using tea tree oil for hair is effective and the reason as to why it is able to achieve these results is due to its anti-fungal, antibacterial, antiseptic, astringent and antiviral properties. Tea tree oil also helps with boosting hair growth by unblocking hair follicles and boosting the immune system to fight off infections that cause hair loss, remove head lice and treat dandruff. Dry and itchy scalps are especially common during winter when indoor heating is turned on. Scratching the scalp can further exacerbate the problem and also cause infections which further increase the dryness and itchiness of the scalp. When Tea tree oil for hair is used, it acts to soothe the scalp, prevents fungal and bacterial infections, and also promotes the healing of skin and hair follicles.
- Over time, the use of conditioners and shampoos can a leave residue that results in the buildup of product on the hair follicle and hair shaft. This leads to the loss of hair, breakage, excessively oily hair and limp, dull locks. Again, applying Tea tree oil on hair and affected area strips the buildup of product, opens clogged hair follicles and exfoliates dead cells from the scalp. The oil also moisturizes the scalp and hair, which leads to less oil production and preventing greasy hair. Hair loss has been related to overproduction of male hormone, which can be curbed with tea tree oil. As a result of such properties, the oil promotes healthy hair growth and rich, luscious locks.
Natural Tea tree oil conditioner
Tea tree oil can also be used as a natural hair conditioner to condition the hair and scalp. However, if you have never used tea tree oil before then it is highly recommended to perform a skin patch test to ensure that you are not allergic to the oil. Here are two conditioning treatments made with tea tree oil:
1. Using Tea Tree Oil as a Hot Oil Treatment
- In a small saucepan, add a few tablespoons of 100% pure coconut oil and/or olive oil.
- Add in 3-4 drops of tea tree oil. Depending on the length of your hair, you may need a couple more drops.
- Warm this mixture and stir constantly.
- As soon as the oil is lukewarm and the coconut oil has dissolved, you can remove the mixture from heat.
- When the mixture has slightly cooled, massage the oil into the scalp and hair follicles.
- Let the oil sit for 15-20 minutes, then shampoo and rinse as normal.
- The hot oil treatment can be repeated once a week.
2. Using Tea Tree Oil as a Hair Mask
- In a blender, combine yogurt and a whole avocado.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil.
- If you want to boost hair growth even more, then add in onion juice.
- Blend this mixture and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- After you have shampooed your hair, then apply the mixture directly onto the scalp and hair follicles.
- Massage your scalp and gently spread the mixture across the hair shaft.
- As this is a hair mask, your hair should be well-infused with the mixture.
- Wait for 20 minutes before rinsing your hair. If you have access to sunlight then soak in the sun to let the mask penetrate into the hair shaft and scalp.
- The hair mask can be applied once a week to fully condition your hair.Please note that if you have coloured hair, tea tree oil may fade the hair colour. Therefore, before applying the conditioning treatments, test a few strands of your hair to ensure that the treatment does not strip away your hair colour.
Incoming search terms:
- can we use tea tree essential oil with onion juice